Thursday, May 8, 2014

Day 15

Day 15 (HALFWAY!!! HOLLA!!!)

Meal 1: Bacon, onion, and power greens {spinach, Swiss chard, kale} omelette topped with fresh tomatoes and avocado.

Probably my very favorite breakfast so far and *SPOILER ALERT*...probably making it again tomorrow because it was SO delicious. I mean, hello, bacon. Enough said.



Meal 2: Leftover chicken, gravy, mashed cauliflower, and a side salad with tomatoes, avocado, and balsamic vinegar.

Nothing exciting (besides the fact that it was bomb.com) but I have been dealing with a baby boy that is currently getting top molars on both sides of his mouth. He is miserable. Like deeply miserable. Add that to the fact that he is deeply in love with his Mama and I basically am kind of in survival mode. But want to know the cool thing? Even though I have crazy eyes, I have ENERGY to deal with the craziness at my house right now! Its a freaking Whole30 miracle!! Yay for fueling your body with healthy whole foods and reaping the benefits!


Meal 3: Crockpot Turkey Chili served over cauliflower rice

I based this recipe off of My Heart Beets Habanero Chili. I made a few changes because I didn't have all the exact ingredients she did and I wanted to make mine with turkey, not beef. I upped the veggies as well because I wanted to pack in as much as possible. Mine also wasn't as spicy as I imagine hers is because I used canned green chilies instead of Habaneros. I really want to try it with Habaneros next time because I LOVE spicy food, not so sure my kids would go for it though.

Crockpot Turkey Chili
-1-1.5 lbs ground turkey
-1 Tbs. Olive Oil
-3/4-1 red onion, chopped (mine was huge so I only used about 3/4 of it)
-5 cloves of garlic, minced
-6 mini peppers, sliced (or a regular bell pepper, this is just what I had in my fridge)
-12-15 baby carrots, chopped (once again, that is what I had on hand, you could use regular carrots, the original recipe called for 5 medium carrots)
-5 stalks of celery, chopped
-1 can of diced green chiles (you could use any chiles, I had mild on hand and tossed those in, jalapenos would be great too)
-2 cans diced tomatoes
-1 Tbs Chili Powder
-2 tsp oregano
-2 tsp. Cumin
-1 tsp. salt (more or less to your liking, can add more later if you feel it needs it)
-1 tsp. Paprika
-2 cups compliant Chicken Stock

To Serve:
-cilantro
-avocado

Chop up the onion and garlic, saute over medium heat in olive oil for a couple minutes.


Then toss in your ground turkey. Brown the turkey. After the turkey is cooked through, I tossed it all into a strainer and let the fat drain out. Normally, fat is good, but we need to be careful if you aren't using meat that isn't organic. I wasn't sure on this turkey, so just to be safe, I drained it. I did not wash it though. That gets rid of all your flavor. Don't do it (MOM!).


Toss your meat, onion, and garlic mixture into a crockpot. Put all your ingredients (except the cilantro and avocado) into the crockpot.


Since I added a LOT of veggies, and more meat than the original recipe, I needed some more liquid. I put in 2 cups of chicken stock I had leftover in my fridge. You can add more or less depending on how much liquid you want in your chili but this ended up being perfect for me.

Set to low and cook 4-5 hours.

I served mine over cauliflower rice. My favorite recipe for that is found HERE. And topped it with cilantro and avocado. This was so yummy and felt like a bowl of comfort food giving me a great big hug but with zero guilt trip.



My thoughts on today:
I mentioned this earlier, but I really do have more energy. It is awesome. AND I don't have to rely on soda to give me more energy. I am relying on whole foods and they work. So yay. I am finding that food tastes so good to me now. I am just thoroughly enjoying everything I eat. It rocks. I am having trouble not snacking though. Like, I am not going to lie, I am eating a Larabar right now. It is my only snack today but I just needed it. Sorry...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated to avoid spam comments! So if you don't see your comment show up right away, no worries! It will as soon as I approve it.