Sunday, May 4, 2014

Day 8

Day 8

Meal 1: Sauteed Power Greens {kale, spinach, swiss chard}and onion, bacon, avocado, and an egg over easy.


Sauteed Power Greens
-about a quarter of an onion, diced
-handful of power greens, would be best if you roughly cut these up. I did not and I wish I would have. Makes it easier to eat and you are trying to deal with huge pieces.
-Salt and Pepper
-Fresh Lemon Juice
-Avocado Oil (or any compliant cooking fat of your choice)

Saute the onion first in the oil. When it starts to get translucent, toss in the power greens. Sprinkle salt and pepper over this.


When the greens have wilted, squirt a little fresh lemon over the top. Top with an egg over easy (I like runny yolks because they make an awesome natural sauce/dressing for things like this)



Bake your Bacon
-Compliant Bacon
-Parchment paper or tinfoil
-Baking sheet


-Please ignore my gross fingernail. I quickly repainted them after this photo session haha!
-This bacon is compliant. It is the low sodium bacon at Costco, no sugar has been added. It is really hard to find compliant bacon. I have a budget and can't just buy the most expensive/best quality meat (I will post about this another day). And I don't have the time to go searching every store/butcher shop for what I need. This technically isn't like THE BEST bacon you can buy (it still has some additives) but at least it doesn't have sugar so it works for Whole30. 

-Place your parchment paper or tinfoil down on a baking sheet.
-Place bacon on top of sheet. 


-Place your bacon in a COLD oven. Turn the oven to 400 and walk away. Check it after 15 minutes. If the bacon is thicker it will take longer. I always check at about 15 minutes but it usually isn't done until 25. I check every 5 minutes on it until it is at the desired done-ness (I prefer mine a bit chewy).
-I like baking bacon because then I don't have to deal with splatter bacon grease all around me, especially since my children flock to me like little chicks whenever I am cooking something extremely hot on the stove. This cuts down on the potential for disaster. Also, the parchment/tinfoil makes clean-up a breeze!


Meal 2: Tuna boats {tuna, guac, artichoke hearts, olives}, cucumbers with red pepper flakes and Pink Himalayan Salt, kiwis and strawberries

I have had a few people say they need quick/easy meals because they either don't enjoy cooking or don't have time. This one fits the bill.

Tuna Boats
-Compliant Tuna (Kirkland brand Albacore is compliant. As always, CHECK your ingredients! There cannot be soy in the water or anything else that is iffy. If you aren't sure, google "Whole 30 (your questionable ingredient here)" and it will take you to the Whole30 Message board where all your questions are answered.
-Pre-made compliant guac (I know Wholly Guacamole is compliant as well as Tableside, which I get at Costco and LOVE because they are in individual servings)


-Olives (again, check your ingredients but most olives are compliant)
-artichoke hearts (again, check ingredients and make sure it is just packed in water or compliant ingredients)

Chop everything up, mix it all together, place on top of romaine leaves and there you go! Easy peasy lemon squeezy. This is also one that is easy to put together ahead of time and take to work or a picnic.


Bubbs was a fan. And made sure that Elmo was well fed.


Meal 3: Burgers topped with homemade ketchup, mustard and avocado. Green beans cooked in ghee, side of strawberries and a compliant pickle.

Burgers
-Organic Ground Beef (If you don't have organic or can't afford it, don't worry. It is best, for sure, BUT you don't need to break your bank over eating healthy. The part of meat that is the WORST for you if it isn't organic is the fat. Normally fat is great, but since the meat wasn't grown in the most ideal environment and wasn't processed ideally as well, you need to make sure you pour off as much fat as you can from your meat when you cook it. The fat is where the nasty, toxic junk is stored. If you have organic, grass-fed beef, you don't really have to worry about this.)
-I used the following spices and mixed them into my ground beef. I just eyed it (I really don't measure much, sorry, but just do it to your liking). You can use any mixture of spices for your burgers. That is the great thing about them! They are so customizable.
-Take your rings off and mix everything together with your hands. You could use a spoon but it won't get mixed as well and the best part of cooking is REALLY getting into your food! ;)


 -Form your ground beef into patties.


-Heat Avocado oil in a pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is ready, toss in the patties. I cooked them on each side for about 3-4 minutes but just check your for done-ness because everyone has different thickness when it comes to forming burgers.

I used the recipe found HERE. It was okay. Next time I will use less cinnamon though because it was a little overpowering.


The green beans I just sauteed in some salt, pepper, and ghee.


I have been so tired at night. Which I am excited about because I usually am SO tired during the day and then when night rolls around, my second wind has hit and I stay up to late, resulting in poor sleep habits. But lately I have had full energy throughout the day and by the time I get the kids in bed, I am ready to relax and just go to sleep. I honestly could go to sleep at like 8:30 or 9:00 but I stay up until about 10:30 and then hit the hay. It is nice being able to have enough energy to keep up with my kids all day...well I don't have nearly as much energy as them but it is nice being able to at least compete with it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated to avoid spam comments! So if you don't see your comment show up right away, no worries! It will as soon as I approve it.