Sunday, May 18, 2014

Day 24

Day 24

Meal 1: Leftover Frittata (guys this tastes even better the next day, if you believe it!)

Meal 2: Turkey, homemade mayo, spicy brown mustard, tomato, avocado, lettuce wrap with a side of roasted sweet potatoes

This turkey is Applegate. It is debated whether it is compliant or not. I have discovered that the pre-packaged turkey is not because of all the added preservatives. BUT supposedly if you get it sliced from the deli it doesn't have the preservatives and is compliant. That being said, this is the CLOSEST deli meat I could find ANYWHERE that would work for me. Have you read the ingredients on all the deli meat at the grocery store? It is disgusting. Trust me, I have read pretty much every single one. I feel good about eating this brand. You can find it at Target. If you aren't worried about a few more additives, get the pre-packaged turkey. I believe it has less than 2% of sugar and so it isn't compliant but I most likely will buy it after whole30.


Meal 3: Buffalo Turkey Meatball salad with Whole30 Compliant ranch


Slow Cooker Buffalo Turkey Meatballs
-1-1.5 lbs ground turkey (or chicken or beef)
-2 celery sticks
-5 baby carrots
-1 egg
-1 tsp onion powder
-1 tsp garlic powder
-1/2 tsp salt
-3 Tbl arrowroot powder (this helps to bind the meat together since you can't have breadcrumbs)
-3/4 cup compliant buffalo hot sauce (I used Frank's Red Hot Sauce Original Flavor)

Rough chop the celery and baby carrots, toss into a blender or food processor (I used my Blendtech). Chop up until finely minced, almost like a mush. Toss everything into a bowl (Except the hot sauce), and mix together with a big wooden spoon or by hand (my preferred method).

I used a cookie scoop to form the balls (I got 18 out of this). Brown the meatballs on the stovetop (I used a bit of coconut oil for this). This doesn't take long. You don't want to cook them, just brown the outsides a bit. You will have to do this in batches.


Place the meatballs into a greased slow cooker (I just turned it on and let some coconut oil melt in the bottom while I browned the meatballs. Then I rubbed the oil around with a paper towel). Once all the meat is into the crockpot, top with the buffalo sauce. Let it cook on low for 5-6 hours.



I LOVE anything with buffalo sauce so these were great. I will be eating these all week on salads or in lettuce wraps. They freeze well also.


My Thoughts:
I am finally getting my energy back. Hallelujah! We spent the entire day shopping for furniture (poor MJ has been sleeping on a mattress on the floor ever since her brother kicked her out of the crib 18 months ago. So she finally got a bedroom set and is over-the-moon excited about it. Plus we got a king size bed and are excited to finally be real-life grownups). We hauled the kids around everywhere. They were miserable. And they both got colds. So yeah. It wasn't fun. But at least I had the meatballs ready to eat when I got home. I will be 100% real with you all though, I really miss cheese. Like badly. I cannot wait to reintroduce dairy and I hope I handle it well because I need cheese. This salad was really good but it would have been over-the-top good if I could have crumbled some bleu cheese on top. It is good to know I can survive without it though!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated to avoid spam comments! So if you don't see your comment show up right away, no worries! It will as soon as I approve it.